Ok so this isn’t really security related but I thought it might be relevant considering I’ve been banging my head against a wall for a few days!
Some background: I’ve been trying to create a podcast on the cheap (actually, for free). I set out to do that using:
- Dropbox to host the audio content
- Feedburner to create an RSS feed that people can subscribe to using an RSS reader and/or iTunes
Tumblr to host the podcast-related blog post content(update: Tumblr stopped supporting Feedburner so I signed up for a free Wordpress.com account to host the podcast content.)
So my steps to get things kicked off were:
- I used an app called DropVox on my iPhone to record the first podcast.
- I then used this app on my desktop called to convert it from m4a to MP3.
- I used Feedburner to create a feed that I could submit to iTunes so that people could eventually subscribe to my podcast.
Now here’s where I ran into problems. I created my first podcast and published it here on the 7MS Tumblr. Then I tested the functionality of audio enclosures by opening up iTunes and manually subscribing to my Feedburner feed. No matter what happened, I could not get my first episode to pop-up! When I ran Feedburner’s troubleshooting tool called Podmedic, I was told The URL was unavailable or FeedBurner could not receive a response within 10 seconds. I tried the URL to the MP3 manually and it worked just fine.
Long story short, I found my answer in this thread and the magic fix was to remove the s in the https part of the Dropbox link. I made that change, then tested the feed a few hours later and *poof!* the feed started working properly.
The final step was to submit my feed to iTunes. I followed this guide to do that, and within a few days everything was approved and I was good to go!
Update: as noted at the top of this post, right when I got everything up and running perfectly, Tumblr informed me they no longer provide interoperability with Feedburner. So, I created a free blog with Wordpress.com and put all my podcast-related posts there, then pointed my Feedburner post to the Wordpress site.