This episode of the 7MS podcast is brought to you by ITProTV. It’s never too late to start a new career in IT or move up the later, and ITProTV has you covered. From CompTIA and Cisco to ECCouncil and VMWare. Get a 7-day free trial and save 30% off all plans by going to itpro.tv/7MS
"I think of what the world could be
If it did not have COVID-19
A million dreams is all it's gonna taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!"
Today's episode is a continuation and update on the cell phone security for tweenagers episode from about a year ago. Specifically, I talk about:
- How the cell phone contract I put together for my tweenager kind of blew up in my face
- I'm the worst dad in the world because my wife and I enforced a "no screens" policy for a few weeks. We lived. Barely.
- Apple Screen Time is your friend, and helps put some limits on iDevice use
- The Dream Machine makes it easy to setup a segmented wireless network just for your kids. You can also "time box" their individual network to only broadcast at certain hours of the day
- You can then apply OpenDNS to filter bad sites on just the kiddo network or ALL your networks
- If you make a home backup/DR plan make sure it includes important stuff like: passwords to important things, as well as critical contacts like your tax prep person, financial advisor and subcontractors.
- When doing school-from-home when one kid isn't in the house, we've found it helpful to setup a shared Google doc that contains high priority projects and a calendar with expectations for the week. We will also be doing a daily FaceTime check-in to make sure everything is going well.
- This virus is a "big fat buttweek" - according to my 9-year-old