7MS #381: DIY $500 Pentesting Lab Deployment Tips
Today's episode is brought to you by ITProTV. It’s never too late to start a new career in IT or move up the ladder, and ITProTV has you covered - from CompTIA and Cisco to EC-Council and VMWare. Get over 65 hours of IT training for free by visiting https://itpro.tv/7minute.
Over the last few weeks I've been working on trying to streamline/automate my DIY pentest lab setup, so I wanted to share the following tips/tricks I've been learning along the way:
For Windows VMs
- Take a snapshot right after the OS is installed, as (I believe) the countdown timer for Windows evaluation mode starts upon first "real" boot.
- Want to quickly run Windows updates on a fresh Win VM? Try this (here's the source):
powershell Install-PackageProvider -Name NuGet -Force powershell Install-Module PSWindowsUpdate -force powershell Set-ExecutionPolicy bypass powershell Import-Module PSWindowsUpdate powershell Get-WindowsUpdate powershell Install-WindowsUpdates -AcceptAll -AutoReboot
- To turn on remote desktop:
Set-ItemProperty -Path 'HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server'-name "fDenyTSConnections" -Value 0
- To set the firewall to allow RDP:
Enable-NetFirewallRule -DisplayGroup "Remote Desktop"
- To stop the freakin' Windows hosts from going to sleep:
powercfg.exe -change -standby-timeout-ac 0
- To automate the install of VMWare tools, grab the package from VMWare's site, decompress it, then:
setup64.exe /s /v "/qn reboot=r"
- To set the time zone via command line, run
tzutil /land then you can set your desired zone with something like
tzutil /s "Central Standard Time"
For Linux VMs
- Get SSH keys regenerated and install/run openssh server:
apt install openssh-server -y mkdir /etc/ssh/default_keys mv /etc/ssh/ssh_host_* /etc/ssh/default_keys/ dpkg-reconfigure openssh-server systemctl enable ssh.service systemctl start ssh.service
- Then grab some essential pentesting tools using Kali essentials, and keep them updated with git update
Also, there's a new 7MS User Group meeting coming up September 30!