This episode is brought to you by ITProTV. Visit https://www.itpro.tv/7minsec for over 65 hours of IT training for free!
Today I take a walk (literally!), get chased by a dog (seriously!) and talk about impostor syndrome and feelings of self-loathing and doubt as I get ready to speak at Secure360 next week (insert wah-wah-waaaaaaahhhhhhh here).
How do you deal with impostor syndrome? Personally, I'm finding some success in squashing it by forcing myself into situations where I feel like a fraud - over and over again! Over time, I feel slightly less like a sham and a bit more like I know what I'm talking about. Specifically, in this episode I talk about:
- The thrill of getting a presentation accepted at a conference, and the dread and fear that follows
- The awful nightmare I have the night before I speak in front of others
- Shaking off nerves when your talk is accompanied by a sign language interpreter
- Finding your "voice" and getting the confidence to share/present your knowledge in a way only you can
I also share the outline to my "So You Wanna Start a Security Company?" talk, which includes:
- What are the telltale signs that you should start a security company?
- How do you find business when everybody and their mom seems to have a security offering?
- What are some of the tools/services/people that can help your business succeed?