Today's episode is brought to you by my friends at Netwrix. Their amazing Netwrix Auditor tool gives you visibility into what’s happening both on your local network and cloud-based IT systems and tells you about critical changes, and when and where people have been accessing data. Give it a spin right in your browser here, and then try it in your environment free for 20 days! www.netwrix.com
Well I'm geeking out big time because today I chatted with John Strand of Black Hills Information Security, SANS instructing, Security Weekly, Active Countermeasures, RITA and more. Some people think he looks like Wash from Serenity or Steve the Pirate from Dodgeball, and others get upset when they learn he's not John Strand the male model.
I've followed John and his team's work since I got started in security, and they've been a huge inspiration for what I do at 7MS. If you're not watching the BHIS Webcasts stop what you're doing and subscribe now! They're all full of practical, hands-on security advice - often complemented by tools that are totally free!
I had a blast chatting with John about:
- What are the security fundamentals companies still aren't getting right?
- How do I properly implement a software firewall?
- How do I not get sued by security product vendors?
- Is there a good way to identify C2 traffic on my network?
- What should I do - and not do - when giving a security Webinar?
- I'm a post-OSCP grad - what else should I take to dive further down the pentest rabbit hole?
- I'm in a network/sysadmin role right now. How can I break into a security-focused role?
- Is there an update out yet for the Active Defense Harbinger Distribution?
Links mentioned in the show
- Kansa - a PowerShell incident response framework
- Implementing host-based firewalls - here's a great blog and video on it
- RITA - Real Intelligence Threat Analytics