7MS #3: Patch Strategies: Part 1 (audio)
In this episode I talk about some trends (and problems) we’re seeing on the patching front – specifically OS and third-party apps.
- Most organizations have the Microsoft side of the house patched well – but the third party apps (Java/Flash/Reader/etc.)? Not so much…but that’s just as important as OS patching!
- Most orgs do not have a good game plan for reviewing, testing, approving and pushing patches – they just patch “When we can.”
- If you’re running Tool X to get a feel for how well the environment is patched, also run a scan periodically with Tool Y to see if things are really as patched as they appear.
- DON’T put your end-users in charge of patching their own machines, no matter how savvy they are.
- Authenticated scans are good! Do both authenticated and unauthenticated for the best results.