How do you keep 20 Kali boxes setup with Metasploit Pro and updated without any access to the Internet? Carefully, I guess :-). In today's episode I talk about some of those challenges, as well as progress made thus far.
Here are some of the commands I mention in the podcast to get the Kali environment tuned a bit more:
Change Metasploit Pro's default listening port
- Edit /opt/metasploit/properties.ini
- Change the nginx_ssl_port= to the proper value.
- Restart Metasploit service.
Setup your server's MOTD (Message of the Day):
- Edit /etc/motd to say what you need to say.
Assign static DNS addresses
nmcli con mod Wired\ connection\ 1 ipv4.dns the.first.dns.server
nmcli con mod Wired\ connection\ 1 +ipv4.dns the.second.dns.server
Note: you need to add the + before the "ipv4.dns" for the second, third, etc. DNS server, otherwise the primary address gets overwritten.
Assign NTP servers
- Edit /etc/ntp.conf
- Edit /etc/rc.local to include service ntp start before the last line. This is so the NTP service starts with every boot.
- I setup a batch file with the following command whenever I want to X11-forward stuff from the Putty session to my Win7 machine:
xming.exe -multiwindow -clipboard